Deprecated: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in /www/wp-content/themes/dialsource-new/inc/helpers.php on line 21

3 Actionable Ways to Increase SDR Performance

3 Actionable Ways to Increase SDR Performance

When it comes to a sales team, BDR’s and SDR’s have the toughest jobs. In addition to being the youngest (usually), they also churn through jobs more frequently than people in other roles. Luckily, there are some ways to increase SDR performance without running the entire ship into the ground. Here’s what sales teams need to know:

What Goes Wrong for SDR’s?

While every sales team is different, most issues with SDRs come down to the following pain points:

  • Sales Development Rep’s don’t have the tools they need for success because nobody has ever taken the time to provide them with such tools
  • Sales teams are setting unrealistic or unclear OKRs, which make it impossible for Sales Development Rep’s to succeed
  • Sales Development Rep’s are unable to see the next step to growth. Take this first-person account from someone in the industry:

“I once spent a weekend doing all this data hygiene and entry on my leads that I was going to call the upcoming week. I was verifying titles, size of companies, etc and was going to prioritize my calls. I come in Monday and my VP marketing and head of sales ops deleted those fields without checking with anyone, and all that information I had spent my weekend manually appending was gone, forever. After that, I vowed to never do anything extra.”

  • A limited desire to learn. Because they can’t see the next steps to growth (As outlined above), SDRs sometimes have a limited desire to learn or move on to the next phase of the company.

Three Ways to Help Sales Development Representatives Improve

There are no individual failures on the sales floor. When one person goes down, everyone else goes down with them. With that in mind, it behooves the entire team to uplift and support SDRs and ensure they have the tools they need to succeed. Here are a few actionable ways to do that:

  1. Set Clear and Actionable Objectives That Help SDRs Grow: Imagine finding your way across an ocean without a map, compass, or clear view of the stars. That’s a little like how SDRs feel when their sales teams don’t define actionable objectives for them to focus on. Anyone who has ever seen an SDR fall short of the mark knows the issue is usually performance-based. What if this sub-par performance is really due to poorly-defined objectives, though? If SDRs are going to succeed, they must have clear and actionable objectives to help guide them through the process. Think of it as a roadmap that informs the entire journey.
  2. Supply the Fundamental Needs: What are “the fundamental needs,” you ask? Easy: Development, Compensation, Network, Enjoyment. These things are similar, in importance, to clothing, water, food, and shelter for human life. They’re necessary and non-negotiable. If your SDRs are underperforming or churning through the system too quickly, it’s worth checking in again to make sure these primary needs are met. If they’re not, now is time to flip your approach and start offering them in spades.
  3. Simplify the Process and the Tools: If at all possible, take proactive steps to make daily life easier and better for your SDRs. Today, nearly two-thirds (64.8%) of reps’ time, on average, is spent in non-revenue-generating activities, leaving only 35.2% for functions related to selling. Field reps are somewhat ahead, spending 3.1% more time selling than their inside sales counterparts.

This obviously creates an exhausting dynamic wherein SDRs don’t even have the time they need to thrive or meet the basic responsibilities of their jobs. Improve their experience by opening more time in their schedules and ensuring they have what they need to keep striving.

Better SDRs Start With More Attention. Being an SDR can be far from simple. Luckily, these three tips can help your SDR’s succeed and uplift your entire sales team, in the process.


Developing A Successful Revenue Engagement Strategy